Nick Garrett's Official Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

La Tragedie de Carmen - English Touring Opera

+2
sweetormiger
Sarah
6 posters

Go down

La Tragedie de Carmen - English Touring Opera Empty La Tragedie de Carmen - English Touring Opera

Post  Sarah Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:04 pm

Nick will be performing with the English Touring Opera in their autumn season of La Tragedie de Carmen.

(Bizet, adapted by Peter Brook, Marius Constant, Jean-Claude Carrière)
Performed in French with English surtitles.

La Tragedie de Carmen - English Touring Opera Carmen%20Page%20image

La tragédie de Carmen is opera at its most powerful, a raw and visceral adaptation of Bizet’s most popular work. Peter Brook and his collaborators have crafted a concentrated night of theatre that focuses on the fatal relationships between the gypsy, soldier, village girl and bullfighter.

The score retains all of the most famous musical moments of the original; Carmen’s Habanera and Seguidilla, Don Jose’s Flower Song, and Escamillo’s swaggering Toreador Song. Directed by Andrew Steggall, conducted by Gareth Hancock, and featuring Leah Marian Jones sings the title role, with Sinead Campbell as Micaëla, David Curry as Don Jose, and Nicholas Garrett as Escamillo.

I'm not sure of prices or when tickets will be released for sale,but keep an eye out at the official website for ETO http://www.englishtouringopera.org.uk/

Thurs 09-Oct Hackney Empire Tel:020 8985 2424

Sat 11-Oct Hackney Empire Theatre Tel: 020 8985 2424

Tues 14-Oct Malvern Festival Theatre, (Pre-show Talk) Tel:01684 892277

Thurs 16-Oct Malvern Festival Theatre Tel:01684 892277

Fri 17-Oct Malvern Festival Theatre Tel:01684 892277

Tues 21-Oct Exeter, Northcott Theatre Tel: 01392 493493

Thurs 23-Oct Exeter, Northcott Theatre Tel:01392 493493

Fri 24-Oct Exeter, Northcott Theatre Tel: 01392 493493

Thurs 30-Oct Theatre Royal, Lincoln Tel:01522 525555

Sat 01-Nov Theatre Royal, Lincoln Tel:01522 525555

Tues 04-Nov Theatre Royal, Bath Tel:01225 448844

Fri 07-Nov Lakes Leisure Kendal Tel: 01539 729777

Thurs 13-Nov Snape, Maltings (Pre-show Talk) Tel:01728 687110

Sat 15-Nov Snape, Maltings Tel:01728 687110

Mon 17-Nov Buxton Opera House (Pre-show Talk) Tel: 0845 127 2190

Fri 21-Nov Assembly Hall, Tunbridge Wells Tel: 01892 530613

Tues 25-Nov Cambridge Arts Theatre Tel:01223 503 333

Thurs 27-Nov Cambridge Arts Theatre Tel: 01223 503 333

Fri 28-Nov Cambridge Arts Theatre Tel: 01223 503 333

Last edited by Sarah on Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

La Tragedie de Carmen - English Touring Opera Empty Re: La Tragedie de Carmen - English Touring Opera

Post  sweetormiger Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:34 am

Hey Lyndz, check out the schedule - isn't one of those engagements where you live?
Oh that would be great for you!!

Thanks Sarah for adding this!
sweetormiger
sweetormiger

Back to top Go down

La Tragedie de Carmen - English Touring Opera Empty wish I could be there

Post  Charity T Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:33 pm

Oh man, that sounds awesome! Wish I could be there!
Charity T
Charity T
Admin

https://nickgarrett-forum.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

La Tragedie de Carmen - English Touring Opera Empty Re: La Tragedie de Carmen - English Touring Opera

Post  lyndsey Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:29 pm

Yeah it is Astrid! Very Happy I CAN'T BELIEVE HE'S COMING TO LINCOLN!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I am just so so so excited!! I'm so pleased they're doing performances of it in Lincoln. I'm getting my tickets as soon as they become available! x
lyndsey
lyndsey

http://www.myspace.com/lyndseysoprano

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:27 am

I really hope to see Nick in this although it will have to be the beginning or the end of the run as I am away for most of October. I really want to see Nick performing the Torreador song in character - he's always so expressive and I always enjoy seeing him perform this song (either on the Amici Dvd or live at a concert!)
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndsey Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:14 pm

OMG OMG OMG!! I just heard the most exciting news today!! Very Happy

I was at uni going over an application letter with my Head of Music, and she got a phone call from the ETO. They want to do a workshop with BG students while they're in Lincoln!! Very Happy cheers cheers I'm hoping to God that that means all the cast will be working with us - including Nick! It would be sooo fantastic if I got to be in a workshop with him. And my tutor and friends will finally realise why I've been in love with Nick for the past 2 years! lol Very Happy

Of course it's only in the first stages of being organised so I can't get my hopes up too much - oops! Too late!! Very Happy bounce bounce x
lyndsey
lyndsey

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:04 am

That is exciting news Lynz, it would be great to attend an opera workshop involving Nick! Smile

I'm still trying to work out which performance I can get to - but I will get there at some point in the run. Smile
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post  Charity T Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:46 am

That's great news Lyndsey! I hope for the best and that it does come true!!
Charity T
Charity T
Admin

https://nickgarrett-forum.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndsey Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:57 pm

There's a couple of videos on the ETO website about the production of Carmen. Andrew Steggall (the Director) discusses the influences of film noir (noir - very appropriate for our Nick I think! Smile) x

http://www.englishtouringopera.com/Carmen2.php
lyndsey
lyndsey

Back to top Go down

Post  serendipity Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:29 am

Thanks for the info Lyndsey. I agree, film noir and Nick, very appropriate!

serendipity

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:24 am

Nick said at Dorchester that rehearsals for Carmen were going really well. They have already had a complete run through after just one week and he didn't know what they were going to do for the next 3 weeks. The director now just wants to tweak a few things but other than that, they're done!! That says alot about the high calibre of singers they must have and I'm really looking forward to seeing this.
Nick was delighted to hear that he would be getting fans along to so many locations of the tour and is really looking forward to performing. Smile
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:10 am

I have to say that this production wasn't quite as I expected but I did enjoy it.

It was a much more condensed version than I anticipated and with no interval (note to self - do not have a drink just before the curtain goes up!) There were only about 7-8 performers in total so you didn't have the chorus singers or crowd scenes that you might expect in certain parts. However, this did bring your focus more onto the main characters and you studied them more intently.All of the main songs from Carmen were included but I was disappointed that the overture at the beginning was moved to where Escamillo is dressing for the bull fight.Also when Carmen sang Habanera, the first verse was sung very softly and so didn't quite the vivaciousness and flirtiness we would expect from the song.
But, that's not to say it wasn't enjoyable, and despite the fact that there were no cheeky dance moves accompanying the song, Nick's Torreador number was brilliant! Kate, Susan and I all felt he had the strongest voice of the group (ok we are biased but in this instance it was true). He had some interesting costumes too, one which made him look like a cross between Indiana Jones and a motorcyclist(or in his words, a mint choc chip icecream) and then of course there was the PINK torreador's outfit. There were also several hats, which with the exception of one, he didn't wear and just carried them as a prop.
The one he did wear was actually behind a white sheet with a light projected onto it to create a silhouette....so we didn't get to see him in it - he told us later he doesn't do hats!!
Kate & I met briefly with him after the performance to say a quick hello and well done. We are both going to be seeing it again at different venues - which I think both surprised and pleased Nick(now Nick that is one thing you should know about us - we'll always be there when we can!!). He was on top form as always and it was lovely to be able to catch up with him....we promise to bring you back a share of our winnings in Vegas too, Nick Wink

Kate and I actually encountered more dramas meeting up with the drunk and homeless of Hackney,Highbury and Holloway trying to get back to our hotel - but that's another story entirely.

Nick was just a total star in La Tragedie de Carmen - he always puts his all into the performance and it's lovely that he always takes the time to say hello. Our Torreador was fab!!!!
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post  Connie Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:22 pm

Sarah, thanks for the review... it sounds like you had a great time. Nick was the shinning star once again...that's what we want to hear. Smile
Connie
Connie

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndsey Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:05 pm

I'm really looking forward to it. Only 2 weeks till I get to see him! Smile And I get to show him off to my mum and Lincoln friends. x
lyndsey
lyndsey

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndsey Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:28 pm

It was brilliant! Smile Nick was totally sexy as Escamillo. x
lyndsey
lyndsey

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndsey Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:46 pm

...That brings me to the Escamillo of Nicholas Garrett, who delivers a fabulous account of the role. He is an absolutely natural high baritone, with creamy tone and a real sense of musical line: the voice is secure and carries a natural resonance that is a constant pleasure to hear. The confrontation and fight scene with Don José was a musical highlight, both men conveying the menace of the moment while treating us to some great singing, until Carmen breaks them up. Garrett also looks the part to perfection as he slowly dons his matador's outfit, a rare splash of colour in the predominantly subdued palette of shades that designer Sarah Bacon gives us...

Just googling our Nick, and found this. Smile x
http://www.musicalcriticism.com/opera/eto-carmen-1108.shtml
lyndsey
lyndsey

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down