Nick Garrett's Official Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nick new recording project - 18 of the Nation's Favourite Poems

5 posters

Go down

Nick new recording project -  18 of the Nation's Favourite Poems Empty Nick new recording project - 18 of the Nation's Favourite Poems

Post  Sarah Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:37 am

As you may remember from the original site, Nick has been involved in recording A compilation of 18 of the Nation’s favourite poems set to music by Brian Knowles.

From the press release........
The CD features The Prague Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by James Morgan, 4 internationally renowned soloists: Jon Christos (tenor), Nick Garrett (bass-baritone), Elin Manahan Thomas (soprano) and Juliette Pochin (mezzo-soprano), The Brighton Festival Children’s Choir, and RSVP Voices. The album has been co-produced by James Morgan and Juliette Pochin. The CD will be released in the UK in time for National Poetry Day on October 9th 2008.

The selected poems are:-

• Everyone Sang – Siegfried Sassoon
• She Walks In Beauty – Lord Byron
• He Wishes For The Cloths Of Heaven – W B Yeats
• Lord Of The Winds – Mary Coleridge
• Crossing The Bar – Alfred Lord Tennyson
• Written In March – William Wordsworth
• The Lake Isle Of Innisfree – W B Yeats
• Come Sweetheart, Come – 10th C. trans.- Helen Waddell
• I Sing Of A Maiden – Anon.
• Love Came Down At Christmas – Christina Rossetti
• In Memoriam – Alfred Lord Tennyson
• Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep – Anon.
• The Soldier – Rupert Brooke
• Night Mail – W H Auden
• Weathers – Thomas Hardy
• The Daffodils – William Wordsworth
• I Remember, I Remember – Thomas Hood
• A Child’s Sleep – Carol Ann Duffy

All tracks are performed by a soloist (many with choir) – except “Come Sweetheart, Come” -arranged for tenor and soprano. The finished album will contain an additional bonus track, “Love Came Down At Christmas” recorded with all four soloists.
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Nick new recording project -  18 of the Nation's Favourite Poems Empty Re: Nick new recording project - 18 of the Nation's Favourite Poems

Post  lyndsey Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:20 pm

I only know one of them - do not stand at my grave. And being a Lincolnshire lass I look forward to hearing the Tennyson poems especially. x
lyndsey
lyndsey

http://www.myspace.com/lyndseysoprano

Back to top Go down

Nick new recording project -  18 of the Nation's Favourite Poems Empty Re: Nick new recording project - 18 of the Nation's Favourite Poems

Post  sweetormiger Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:33 am

Thanks Sarah, great information. I too recognize only one right off, The Daffodils.
But I am sure I will have read the others by the time I get the CD.
sweetormiger
sweetormiger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:17 am

Poetry Serenade will be released on 29th September but is available to pre-order now through Amazon.co.uk priced £11.99 plus postage.
CLICK HERE TO ORDER
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post  sweetormiger Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:33 am

Classical X also posted which Poems Nick will be singing.
Go check it out, there are 3 solo's for Nick.
sweetormiger
sweetormiger

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndsey Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:58 pm

Really looking forward to this Smile I'm ordring it from amazon now. x
lyndsey
lyndsey

Back to top Go down

Post  Connie Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:21 pm

Yeah! bounce I just ordered mine today....can't wait! Very Happy
Connie
Connie

Back to top Go down

Nick new recording project -  18 of the Nation's Favourite Poems Empty Review of Poetry Serenade

Post  sweetormiger Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:11 am

CX review

There is a great review out on the CD Poetry Serenade and for the MySpacers, Jon Christos has a track up from it.
Both are worth checking out!
sweetormiger
sweetormiger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:18 am

I love this CD, my only criticism would be that there aren't enough tracks featuring Nick.

I thought it quite amusing that the subject of all of Nick's poems is death, but then he does do melancholy very well doesn't he. His voice really emphasises the meanings in the poems and that rich chocolately voice is both soothing and passionate in parts. I love the use of the drums and pipes in Lord of the Winds which gives it that Celtic feel and the power in Nick's voice is just incredible. My other favourite is Crossing the Bar - simply beautiful.
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post  Connie Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:05 pm

I would of liked Nick to sing more songs also, everyone involved did a great job. Has anyone else ordered the CD, let us know what you think. Very Happy
Connie
Connie

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndsey Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:23 pm

I have ACTUALLY got round to buying the Album of Poems - finally! I really like it. Some of the songs are written in a similar style to John Rutter's music, and others (Nick's Lord of the Winds in particular) very much has a Karl Jenkins feel about it, which I love. x
lyndsey
lyndsey

Back to top Go down

Post  serendipity Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:05 pm

I haven't purchased mine yet, but will do so soon.

serendipity

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down