Nick Garrett's Official Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is everyone up to?

+3
sweetormiger
lyndsey
Sarah
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What is everyone up to? - Page 2 Empty Re: What is everyone up to?

Post  Sarah Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:49 am

I don't think I've ever watched so much sport in my life.Comedy shows in the UK are having a field day joking about how no-one in the UK knew what yngling was until we won a gold in it.It was great to watch though, not just because team GB did so well but also because of all the world records that were broken - Michael Phelps, Usain Bolt and a few from Team GB too.

Hope you're settling in ok Kathy, it must be daunting making such a big move, but I hope it will be a wonderful experience for you and your family.

Kate, Lynz and I had a fun weekend last weekend. We went to Scarborough ( a seaside resort in the north of England for those that don't know). We stayed in the caravan of a lady we met at a Blake concert back in February this year - she is so much fun and we love meeting up with her. On the friday we went into Scarborough to see Alfie Boe in concert with the Scarborough Spa Orchestra. It was a lovely concert and Alfie performed several tracks from his latest album and also E Lucevan le Stelle - which brought back memories of Nick in Tosca.Throughout the concert Alfie referred to "familiar faces in ther audience" and even included us in a couple of his jokes. We met up with him briefly afterwards too. Lynz and I had met him previously and we got hugs and kisses - as did Kate who he'd not met before...then Margaret our friend tapped him on the shoulder and pointed out she was with our group and wanted a hug and a kiss too - it was hilarious! She had actually met Alfie at the Festival of Remembrance as she is a war widow.
Saturday was quite a restful and relaxing day with a bit of shopping, lunch and just general laughter. Margaret and Lynz then went back to Lincoln on the Sunday as they were seeing Aled Jones and Hayley Westenra in concert.

Our next adventure is in about 3 weeks time - Dorchester Abbey - where I think the full contingent of "the usual suspects" will be present. Looking forward to seeing them all and Nick and hopefully seeing the sights of Oxford and Blenheim afterwards too. Smile

How's everyone else?

Sasha how's your job going?

Connie have you started back at your job yet?

Mary, how are you doing after your op? Have you been to any concerts lately?

Things have been a bit quiet on here lately, but it would be great to hear from everyone. Smile
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

What is everyone up to? - Page 2 Empty Back to School

Post  Charity T Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:16 pm

Come this time next week, I'll be back in school with a crazier schedule than ever. I'm taking a Chemistry class and a Biology lab. I think I'll like them, but they will be sooooo much work. I still hope to take my GRE's this fall, apply to grad school by January, and hopefully graduate in May, cross my fingers. I may put off graduating until I know for sure about grad school though. I'm not 100% on how getting into grad school works.

Today, for my birthday, we're going up to Indy to Rib America where we can taste various BBQ from places from around Indiana, and then we'll get to see Peter Frampton play. Beatlemania Live! plays before them, but I don't know what all they are doing. I'm just happy to get to go since Tony had vetoed the idea the first time I mentioned it.

Tomorrow AJ and I are going to my mother-in-law's for a cookout. Sunday, I'll be doing yard work and then going to a friend's for our Fantasy Football draft. The season is upon us!!!! Monday, I might go back up to Rib America with my mom. I don't remember who's playing, but I'm sure it will be enjoyable.

Hope everyone has a great Labor Day Weekend (here in the States, anyway)!
Charity T
Charity T
Admin

https://nickgarrett-forum.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Connie Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:47 pm

Booo! The summer olympics are now over. Sad It was a joy to watch. I'm happy to be back to work, I went back to a previous employer who had an opening. I got so many hugs & welcome backs on Monday from all who work there. Not much has changed from working there 6 yrs ago, I actually remember the products & the computer set up pretty good. Didn't need much training to get back on track, good thing because my boss didn't give me any re-freshing training. He just put the work in front of me and told me to do it. That little stinker had me rattling my brain for awhile, he did that just to see how much I remembered. It's been a week now since I've been back and I feel as if I never left. Laughing

Charity good luck with school, AJ is growing up so fast and cute as ever. Smile I see the GG's are still having fun on their weekend adventures. Have a great time at Dorchester Abbey!
Connie
Connie

Back to top Go down

Post  serendipity Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:10 am

sweetormiger wrote:Hey Serendipity, you are in China? Wow, one of my former co workers moved recently to Shanghai.

Well no, not China, but near enough to swim in the same "pond."
There's a thriving expat community and different organizations so, it's not too bad...just learning to deal with cultural differences, small spaces, and the traffic congestion (literally a grid lock all over the city. ) At least the public transit system is good, if you don't mind standing most of the time.
Of course, our kids complain about not enough english speaking tv channels...we're looking into setting up a "Sling Box" here and at grandma's back in the States.
If anyone is interested in visiting this part of the world e-mail me. Smile

x

serendipity

Back to top Go down

Post  sweetormiger Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:52 am

What is a sling box? Well traffic over there sounds like my travels home from work when I take the highway.
Luckily I have another way I can travel and traffic does not really park itself as bad as it does on the highway.

It's great to see all the posts and funny pictures.
Hope everyone has a great week, dont' forget Nick sings this week in the Abbey!
And to those of you who get to go hear him, I hope you will be able to take a picture or two and share with us!
sweetormiger
sweetormiger

Back to top Go down

Post  serendipity Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:24 am

Sling Box " is a TV streaming device that enables the viewers to remotely view their cable, satellite or personal video recorder programming from an internet enabled computer with a broadband internet connection." Basically it redirects the programming from one area (in my case, country) to another remote location.
They're made by Slingmedia, www.slingmedia.com
Looks interesting enough to try out...

I'm looking forward to hearing about the concert in the Abbey, do share with us. Smile

Last night I was watching a drama ( I think they call it drama series or mini series here) on TV and was surprised to hear Amici's "Prayer in the Night" (Sarabande) being played as the "heroine" was ready to take a suicidal plunge into the ocean by jumping off the cliff!
I was so surprised to hear it and almost choked on the food I was eating. My husband thought it was due to the scene, but I explained that it was the music.
It was a pleasant surprise, nevertheless. Very Happy

serendipity

Back to top Go down

Post  sweetormiger Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:53 am

Interesting idea the slingbox! Hope it works out for you!

And it is always great to find that the AF music featuring the original 5 is still being discovered and continued!
Both CD's are still on my favorite list and are still very much in circulation.
sweetormiger
sweetormiger

Back to top Go down

What is everyone up to? - Page 2 Empty Where is everyone????

Post  sweetormiger Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:36 am

Hellllooooo, yoohoo...where is everyone? It's been so quiet on here you could hear a pin drop!
Anybody there...there....there...there
sweetormiger
sweetormiger

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndsey Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:44 pm

I've recently started my new career as a Newly Qualified Teacher, teaching 11 - 14yrs in school, and teaching singing with the local music service. Busy busy busy!

Might be going to see the Operababes (Nadia's other group) tomorrow night coz they're in Peterborough. Then on Saturday I'm going to the English National Opera with a friend of mine, watching an Open Rehearsal of Handel's Partenope and seeing Rossini's Barber of Seville in the evening. I'm thinking of going to see Hamlet at the RSC because the absolutely gorgeous David Tennant is playing him at the moment. I wouldn't go just for him though of course Exclamation Wink A friend of mine is playing percussion with the production. x
lyndsey
lyndsey

http://www.myspace.com/lyndseysoprano

Back to top Go down

Post  sweetormiger Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:00 am

Congratulations on your teachers position. Hope the 'kids' are not giving too much of a headache.
Don't know if music is an elective study in England as it is here in the US, when I went to school it was a cursory program and I used to love it! ALOT! Was a pretty good with the xylophone, though never kept up with the music study's for various reasons not entirely under my control!
Anyhow, hope you are enjoying yourself Lyndz!
sweetormiger
sweetormiger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:06 pm

lyndsey wrote: I'm thinking of going to see Hamlet at the RSC because the absolutely gorgeous David Tennant is playing him at the moment. I wouldn't go just for him though of course Exclamation Wink A friend of mine is playing percussion with the production. x

I just saw Kenneth Branagh in Ivanov recently - and I did go just for him! Very Happy although it was good to see other well known actresses in it such as Gina Mckee (Notting Hill, Forsyte Saga) and Lucy Briers (Pride & Prejudice - Colin Firth version). I was not familiar with much of Chekov's work before this but I was pleasantly surprised and I really enjoyed it. I have been a fan of Kenneth Branagh for many years, I love all the Shakespeare he does, he really brings it to life. After seeing Ivanov, I think he has done the same as Chekov and I will be reading more of his work in the future.

Next week I am going to see Dara O'Briain (Mock The Week) doing standup and then at the weekend I'm taking my mum to see Aled Jones in a local concert.

Lynz, you should contact Susan re Hamlet as I know she is going to see it. She had a review of it with her when we were in Dorchester recently - apparently there's a "bed scene" in it. Oh and did you know that Patrick Stewart is also in it - he's a great Shakespearean actor too.I've seen him performing Shylock from the Merchant of Venice and he was incredible.
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

What is everyone up to? - Page 2 Empty Hoping that mail will be comming soon

Post  sweetormiger Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:09 am

Sleepless in the night she wanders, searching for a living soul, no one hears or crosses her paths, left to her own devises she searches her mind and finds... ah, Monday is Sept 29th, a day to look forward to, a day on which a glorious voice will ring out once again and proclaims the world of music (and poetry) to be his!

well he'll share it with a few others, but I hope you all will give Poetry Serenade a go!!
Now all I have to do is patiently wait till Monday, hope he mail won't take too long, I am way too curious about the CD.

bounce cheers study
sweetormiger
sweetormiger

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndsey Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:29 pm

Have fun seeing Dara O' Briain! Russell Howard and Frankie Boyle (also from Mock the Week) are doing stand-up in Peterborough soon, although I think Frankie clashes with Nick! Neutral Damn.

I had such a good day yesterday - always love my days out in London. Saw a rehearsal of act 3 of Handel's Partenope. Looks like it'll be good, although I didn't realise a Handel opera could be so naughty! At one point, Partenope straddles her lover on the bed and pours champagne on him?! Doesn't go any further than that though. And it wasn't a dress rehearsal, so they didn't run all the way through - started late, then stopped and started loads, just like any normal rehearsal. Some of the male cast members are quite funny, but you can tell the leading lady is a Diva Smile

Barber of Seville was also very good. It was almost impossible to understand what the cast was singing at some stage, but I think that was to accentuate the sense of confusion in the Act.

Oh - I think I saw the actor who plays Filch in Harry Potter! He's starring in a play with David Walliams and Ian Mckellen I think, opposite the Coliseum. Can't remember the title of it. Anyway, I'm certain he walked past me and my friend in Covent Garden - he's taller than I expected! x
lyndsey
lyndsey

Back to top Go down

Post  Charity T Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:49 pm

I've been very, very busy. I have early classes every day but Thursday, late classes on Mondays and Wednesdays, and an early evening class on Thursdays. Chemistry homework is a constant, and things are picking up in my biolab.

But I did get to catch a bit of America's Got Talent last night when class let out early, but I'll post about that in the tv thread.

Congrats on the job Lyndz!
Charity T
Charity T
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sweetormiger Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:19 pm

cheers I went to see Carmen last night and it was so very good! The performers were so passionate, really sucked you right into the story and the music did what it was meant to do, take you on an emotional ride.
Whooooheee, better than a roller coaster ride! Ahhhh, it felt good!!
I was so taken in that I had the sensation of being the sole person in the audience... doesn't happen very often. Sometimes people around you pretty much disturb you in trying to get into the music and just let it take you away, last night though, it worked wonders!
I really needed it.
Too bad Nick was not singing in it, though come to think of it, the Escamillio last night was on a horse and also dancing on the table, and I mean slinking his hips to the torreador song, dancing out his bull fighting story. Flirting with the girls... he he, would have been kind of hot seeing Nick do that Shocked
Not sure how modern the Carmen version is that Nick is performing in but don't you think it would be really cool if it was in present time and the Bullfighter turns into a sort of Hell;s Angel kind of Matador... ha ha, can you see it, Nick all in leather and on a roaring Harley... Cool
Can't wait to hear about it!!
sweetormiger
sweetormiger

Back to top Go down

Post  sweetormiger Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:25 pm

lyndsey wrote:.

Oh - I think I saw the actor who plays Filch in Harry Potter! He's starring in a play with David Walliams and Ian Mckellen I think, opposite the Coliseum. Can't remember the title of it. Anyway, I'm certain he walked past me and my friend in Covent Garden - he's taller than I expected! x

Speaking of HP movie cast, I caught a glimpse of some show two nights ago with Alan Rickman in it, I did not really recognize him as he was in some weird get up, don't even know what the show was, but I did recognize that unmistakable snitty speech he always applies as Professor Snape...
sweetormiger
sweetormiger

Back to top Go down

Post  serendipity Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:00 am

Hi! Sorry I've been away for a while, but my mom is visiting us from the States.
I'll have some more time to chat later. Smile

serendipity

Back to top Go down

Post  sweetormiger Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:44 am

serendipity wrote:Hi! Sorry I've been away for a while, but my mom is visiting us from the States.
I'll have some more time to chat later. Smile

Enjoy your visit with your mom. We will be here when you get back to us!
sweetormiger
sweetormiger

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndsey Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:19 pm

I had the best few days at the end of the half term! Very Happy The opera workshop that was done at uni was brilliant! No Nick unfortunately, but the focus was on Carmen and the guys running it were lovely. The evening was just as great - Nick was fabulous as the Toreador of course! He's looking very well - very well indeed! Wink And the sparkly pink and gold Toreador outfit was very fetching Smile After the show he met my Director of music at uni and then walked me back to my car.
Friday I saw Rusalka, which was also fantastic - even though Nick wasn't in it. The guy playing the Water Spirit, who was also Lilas Pastia in Carmen, was brilliant - superb voice. I saw Nick briefly at the end and said how much I enjoyed it. Then me and mum met up with Sarah and Margaret at a restaurant before going to see Nick. However Escamillo escaped after the show - we assume to grab a lift back to London.

All in all it was a brilliant few days. x
lyndsey
lyndsey

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:12 pm

I've not been on here for a while as I've been away in the USA with Kate.

We spent three days in Las Vegas, stayed at the Luxor Hotel, in the pyramid with it's lifts that go diagonally rather than vertically - quite bizarre the first time you ride in them!! We did lots of shopping in all the various malls and hotels, saw Donny & Marie in concert (and got to meet them afterwards) and visited Hoover Dam. One of the hi-lights was a helicopter trip down the strip at night - it was an incredible view and a great experience.
After that we flew to Salt Lake City in Utah and met up with some friends of mine. It was a total change from Las Vegas and it was lovely to see all the mountains and the autumn colours and we visited quite a few of the mormon historical sites. It was great to catch up with my friends (and do more shopping) and one of the hi-lights had to be going to see Aida for my birthday. It was the muscial version by Tim Rice and Elton John (as opposed to the opera) but it was incredible. Kate and I both bought the soundtrack in the interval and played it non stop. We were also very lucky to meet some of the cast afterwards as they lined up at the exit to the theatre to say goodbye and thank people for coming. My friend knew the guy playing the leading male role (Radames) so she got him to pose for photos and we both got big hugs when he heard we'd come from England.
Kate took the most photos and she's still away in Washington D.C at the moment visiting family, but I'll try and post up a few of mine as well.

Thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes,it was a great day - despite the fact that I now feel incredibly old!

I saw Nick again in Carmen just 1 day after getting back from USA and I have to say I enjoyed it more the second time around.They'd made a few slight changes since I'd seen it at Hackney and it was more intense and dramatic.

Back to work now....I wish I could say it was good to be back....
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post  serendipity Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:58 pm

Well, I'm back....My mom is safely back in the States and recuperating from the long flight home.
Unfortunately for her, she fractured her ankle while she was here and had to stay at home most of the time.
She was able to go home with the doctors approvable, but was advised not to exert too much pressure on her ankle...no walking for two more weeks.
We really enjoyed having her, and we miss grandma and her cooking. Sad

I've not been on here for a while as I've been away in the USA with Kate...
It's always nice to go on a vacation with a friend or friends, I haven't done that in a while (it's difficult with a husband and kids.)
Elton John's Aida is actually one of my mom's favorite, and she also has the soundtrack. Speaking of music and my mom (sorry to go off tangent), she played Nick's cd for her friends and they really liked it, and wanted to know why they haven't heard of him before. I do hope that Nick will produce more solo music in the future.

Have a Great Thanksgiving!!

xx

serendipity

Back to top Go down

Post  Charity T Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:57 pm

Things are not letting up quite yet. These next three weeks are going to be hell. I've got a test this Tuesday, present my independent project next week, as well as my lab final next week, and then my lecture final the following week. This week, I'm meeting with three different faculty to talk about grad school options. I need to get my third letter of reference from one of them, and I hope I can get into one of their labs. I'm also taking my GRE this Saturday, as well as playing in a pool tournament this Friday and maybe early Saturday before the GRE.

In two weeks, I may be having surgery on my thumb too. I hurt it at work back at the end of August. I was holding something about waist high, one handed, and moved it above my head. It wasn't very heavy, but I felt a sharp pain in my thumb. I put it down, and stopped using my thumb for a little while and the pain went away for then. I kinda' forgot about it, except that my thumb kept feeling like it needed to be popped, and I had a little nodule show up on my knuckle. Finally, just about a week ago, after an MRI, we found out I tore a piece of cartilage at the middle joint, but the doctor doesn't know what the nodule is on my first knuckle. Surgery is tentavely scheduled for the 12th, but everything has to get cleared through worker's comp, but I should know for sure this week.

AJ is growing like a weed. He's running now, and climbing on things and jumping off of them. His favorite toy is me. If I'm laying on the floor, he loves to throw himself on me and climb on my back for a pony ride. He repeats his ABC's, but his only letter he doesn't quite have yet is G. We've started him on his numbers, but he tends to only say "two". I can't wait for this Christmas. He's old enough now that he'll really enjoy it! We got him some mega-blocks and a tool bench. We got him some kind of learning pad thing we can hook up to the tv too. He'll be 18 months at Christmas, but he seems so far advanced already, especially with as much as he talks.

Hope everyone has a great holiday season!
Charity T
Charity T
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum