Nick Garrett's Official Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nicks review thread!

2 posters

Go down

Nicks review thread! Empty Nicks review thread!

Post  sweetormiger Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:21 am

I thought with Nick really working his tush off this year we could use a review thread.
Here we can place all the good things we find and read about what Nick does.
He was great in Tosca and got raving reviews (not to mention the thunderous applause).

He took part in recording Poetry Serenade and that is fantastic as well.
I received my copy yesterday and while I thought I knew what to expect I am (again) pleasantly surprised at Nicks abilities to make music so very much his own. And he did not write the music for this CD - at least not that it is mentioned anywhere. If you listen to it, give The Soldier a good ear! I think you may hear Nicks patriotic and proud smile - at least I thought I 'heard' it!
The Lord of the Winds is what Nick surprises me with when ever he brings out his Dramaturgist!
I know Nick can do Drama, but I am so very surprised at how well he can bring it home so that even I understand! I have seen Nick sing the lighter side of Music in Into the Woods, then I saw him in the extroadinary TOSCA and both times, Nick's way of pasisonate portrayal is a way I seem to be able to understand! His solos on Poetry Serenade are no exception, Crossing the Bar is moving to read but a little difficult to understand. Set to music, having Nick sing it, brought tears to my eyes and I did not even notice it!
Do give it a try, there are other very beautiful poems set to even more beautiful music. Mr Knowles did a fantastic job matching his music to just the perfect voice!
Congratulations to all involved in Poetry Serenade!
sweetormiger
sweetormiger

Back to top Go down

Nicks review thread! Empty Reviews from Carmen

Post  sweetormiger Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:01 am

Full Review The Ensemble

but just a little excerpt:
"Garrett's wasn't the usual swaggering Escamillo: after all in this version he is simply a bloke who come into the bar who happens to be a toreador, rather than one accompanied by a chorus of adoring fans. Garret sang the role finely, with excellent French diction and clarity of words. There were moments when I wondered if the role sat a little high for him; if it did he disguised it well."
sweetormiger
sweetormiger

Back to top Go down

Nicks review thread! Empty Re: Nicks review thread!

Post  lyndsey Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:14 pm

'the role sat a little high'? What does he/she mean by that? Nick's range? x
lyndsey
lyndsey

http://www.myspace.com/lyndseysoprano

Back to top Go down

Post  sweetormiger Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:56 am

This is only an exerpt you can read the full review

HERE

Don Jose, was sung by David Curry, who is, a young singer, of incredible talent. But, his gorgeous, light tenor, is not suited, to so heavy a role, as Don Jose. Also, with little to do, other than commit violence, on the other characters, there was little, or no, opportunity, for him to develop, a character. His rival in love, Escamillo, was sung, by Nicholas Garrett, who sang, that challenging aria, with significant, dexterity. His role, however, seemed to lack, in importance.
sweetormiger
sweetormiger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down