Nick Garrett's Official Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nick in Tosca

+2
Charity T
Sarah
6 posters

Go down

Nick in Tosca Empty Nick in Tosca

Post  Sarah Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:19 pm

Here's a couple of pictures that appeared in various reviews. I think with a couple of exceptions, all of the reviews have been really positive and rightly so.
Nick in Tosca Aay

Nick in Tosca Aaz

and here's some of the reviews........

Nicholas Garrett makes a stunning Scarpia. Vocally he is perhaps a touch too smooth, but he carries his lean, athletic frame with potent menace and magnetism. His attempt to subjugate Tosca in Act 2 comes with an undertone of violence that is theatrically incendiary. As, too, is Tosca’s end - but that’s a surprise. (The Stage)

Nicholas Garrett's Scarpia, languidly serpentine in a shiny suit, is as alluring as he is frightening. It all makes for incendiary music theatre - quite literally at one point. (The Guardian)

Scarpia, as played by Nicholas Garrett, is a real smooth operator who can appear to be good-hearted while underneath he is a volcano of evil and cruelty waiting to erupt. Garrett’s Scarpia is excellent and combines the obvious attraction he has for women that is sexual rather than being a man of position. His obsession with Tosca is very apparent in ‘Ha piừ forte sapore’. (Classical Music)

Nicholas Garrett is both sexy and menacing as Scarpia. (Bloomberg.com)

Nicholas Garrett mixes sexiness, menace and glorious phrasing as Scarpia. (Metro)

Snake-hipped and suave, Nicholas Garrett's Scarpia moves like a dancer. His is a light voice but he uses it imaginatively, conveying more malevolence in his slight frame than many heavy-set baritones. (The Independent)

For my part, I thought Tosca was totally captivating.Amanda (Tosca) had a really powerful voice and her rendition of Vissi D'arte was absolutely beautiful. Sean(Caravadossi) was also an incredible singer and brought tears to my eyes when he sang E Lucevan Le Stelle - his relationship and chemistry with Tosca was also really good and believeable - quite attractive too Wink . As for Nick, he was everything the critics said and more! I think I had a smile on my face everytime he was on stage (except when he died!).He really plays the villain very well and as menacing and evil as he was you can't help but love him too. Certain expressions or movements reminded me of the wolf from Into the Woods or Laurent in Therese Raquin and this added to the enjoyment. Nick was a total star and thoroughly deserved the rapturous applause he received as he took his bow.
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Nick in Tosca Empty Re: Nick in Tosca

Post  Charity T Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:44 am

How wonderful! Would have loved to have seen it! Sounds like it was HOT! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil bom bom
Charity T
Charity T
Admin

https://nickgarrett-forum.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  serendipity Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:43 pm

Thanks Sarah!

I would have loved to have seen Nick's Scarpia in person, sounds vey sexy cheers

x

serendipity

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndsey Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:32 am

Really enjoyed the production - as I'd never seen it before, I had nothing to compare it to. But I thought it all worked really well.
Tosca's fiery jealousy was very apparent when she was with Caravadossi, and her rendition of Vissi d'arte was gorgeous. Caravadossi himself was very cute and his aria was sung beautifully - it's one of my favourite songs ever!
Nick was indeed both sexy and menacing! I also couldn't stop grinning when Nick was on stage - I was so proud of him! Very Happy He owned the stage when he was on it, and his passion for Tosca was clear - he is very very good at these kind of parts. I'd love to see it again, but it's sold out of course.

Bring on Carmen! Smile x
lyndsey
lyndsey

http://www.myspace.com/lyndseysoprano

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:14 am

I wish there were more recordings of Nick when he does Opera - either CD or DVD, that way we could enjoy his performances again and again.

I was telling Nick when we saw him at Tosca, that he had a new little fan in the shape of my 5yr old nephew. He had heard me say that Nick was like family and so decided Nick was also my brother just like his dad, which would make him Uncle Nick! Then he wanted to know who Nick was so I showed him the DVD of Amici and also Barber of Seville - he loves Barber of Seville and thinks "Uncle Nick" is very funny.It's good though as Bradley is really enjoying the music on the Amici DVD and Barber of Seville and its a great way to introduce him to classical music.

Whilst Nick was amused at me saying he was my little brother, he was less impressed when Kate called him Dad!! Very Happy but he knows we love messing with him really! lol!
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post  Connie Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:09 pm

Nick did an outstanding performance in Tosca, I loved it! To see him perform live was awesome, he drew you into his every move...he was amazing. It was so nice to finally meet him, I wanted so much to see him perform live in an opera and I'm so happy that I decided to visit London this year. cheers

The 3 musketeers finally met and it was great to meet up with Kate, Lyndsey, & meet Nadia & Carlene. It was a great trip, loads of fun & plenty of laughs all around. Laughing

Connie
Connie
Connie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:02 am

Nick in Tosca N607505078_1061785_8158

Nick singing Te Deum in Tosca
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post  Connie Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:39 pm

Nice picture, It was so amazing when Nick sang the Te Deum....very powerful indeed!
Connie
Connie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:36 pm

A few more pictures to whet your appetite (Thanks to Kate for the find! Smile )

Nick in Tosca Tosca01

Nick in Tosca Tosca03

Nick in Tosca Tosca06

Nick in Tosca Tosca10
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post  Connie Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:12 pm

Those are some good shots, good find Kate. cheers Makes me kind of thirsty for a glass of wine. Smile
Connie
Connie

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndsey Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:09 am

Thanks Kate Smile They're great! x
lyndsey
lyndsey

Back to top Go down

Post  Charity T Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:42 am

This picture is HOT! The intensity is almost palpable!
Nick in Tosca Tosca01
Charity T
Charity T
Admin

https://nickgarrett-forum.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndsey Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:04 pm

Look what I've found!!

Tosca

With the City of London Sinfonia and the OHP Chorus

When this production of Puccini's masterpiece was first performed as part of the main Opera Holland Park season in the summer of 2008, it was acclaimed as one of the finest productions of the work seen in London for many years. The production broke new ground, shedding fresh light on one of the operatic repertoire's most revered works and the return of this electrifying show to the London stage is a landmark event

Korn/Ferry Opera Holland Park is widely regarded as one of the most exciting, innovative and accomplished opera companies in the UK. With an extraordinary history of producing rarities alongside popular favourites, this transfer to the spectacular setting of Richmond Theatre is a unique foray outside of the prestigious summer festival.

Amanda Echalaz (Tosca), Nicholas Garrett (Scarpia) and Sean Ruane (Cavaradossi) will be singing on Wednesday 25, Friday 27 and Sunday March 1.

Conductor Phillip Thomas
Director Stephen Barlow
Designer Yannis Thavoris
Lighting Designer Peter Mumford

To go to the Richmond Theatre website and book tickets, CLick here: http://www.theambassadors.com/tickets/richmond/richmond/3340/tosca.html

Tosca is on for a week, but from the sounds of it, Nick's only singing on the Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. x
lyndsey
lyndsey

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:56 am

I know Lynz, Kate & I are booked to see this, is anyone else going?
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post  sweetormiger Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:23 am

Sarah wrote:I know Lynz, Kate & I are booked to see this, is anyone else going?

I would love to see TOSCA again, though won't be there in person. Only in spirit!
sweetormiger
sweetormiger

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndsey Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:44 pm

Wooh! Not long till we see him in Tosca again Smile Hope he has a busy schedule this year. Not that I can afford it. x
lyndsey
lyndsey

Back to top Go down

Post  Connie Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:09 pm

Nick in Tosca Tosca01

This is such a great shot of Nick, fury of passion in those eyes....perfect! You gals get to see it once again....lucky you. Enjoy! Laughing
Connie
Connie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:13 pm

Opera Holland Park have released a short behind the scenes look at taking Tosca to Richmond Theatre.
CLICK HERE
Sarah
Sarah

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down